Submitted: 06-05-2001 by baldpaddler
The first canoe I bought was an eighteen foot Sundowner In tuff weave. I used it in races on the local lake. I won the races on the local lake in my class. I took the sundowner up to the Aderondacks in new York for a two week trip with the scouts. We hit big waves on Saranac lake. The scouts who were in the cedar strip canoes and the ones in the royalex boats had a real tough time. I was in the sundowner with my 12yearold and felt comfortable. We didn't have the strength to help any one but we were not in any trouble in that boat. The gel coat showed a lot of wear but we could hop out of the boat and pull it over logs and jump back in with little scratching. The only really negative thing about the boat was the wieght. It was about 68#. When I was up in new york it really didn't have a good portage system and hurt alot to carry. I sold the sundowner, to get a lighter boat, but wouldn't heasitate to get a lighter model of the sundowner. Great glide, stability, and handling for a novice crew .