Submitted: 05-29-2001 by Burr

I have been looking for a Kayak for myself for over 2 months. I have attended 7 different demos. I have taken classes and have rented several boats that were top contenders. I did my homework by reading this web site, and all the back issues of the major kayaking magazines that I could get my hands on.

I am 6'1" and 250 lbs I am an avid skier and cyclist. I am an aerospace engineer and a father with 8 year old twins and a 10 year old that love kayaking so much they saved their own money to buy their own kayaks (their reports in their own words will be submitted soon on their boats). Out of all this I developed a picture of an optimum kayak: Plenty of storage for the family's stuff for camping and day trips, Good stability for rescue and righting of boat and child in case of trouble, Good comfort for legs and back, Good design, durable construction, Fast, easy to turn, holds a turning edge well, Tracks straight, Good freeboard when loaded.

I was told by many sales people and representatives that this combination was impossible. I almost overlooked Ocean Kayak as a brand because I knew that a sit on top was out of the question. I was introduced to the 14.9 a perfect demo day. Winds 15-25; seas 1-2 feet; water temp low 50s air temp low 50s i.e. a great day to test a kayak. Well the 14.9 passed with flying colors. I bought one.

Yesterday I was out on a local small lake (1 mile x 2 mile). While in the middle a quick storm came up with heavy rain and white caps but I was perfectly comfortable. I was able to reach shore quickly and even in a side broaching sea was dry. In conclusion for a person of my size and needs this is the optimum boat.