Submitted: 05-22-2001 by Hugh

We had a Twin Otter until recently. Purchased it last year. Picked a twin because my wife wasn't sure she would like kayaking. She did, in a big way. The boat was super stable, was smooth on the water and was easy to paddle. Seats are extra comfortable. The minuses are, craft weighs 65 lbs and is a handfull to put up on a roof rack. Although Old Town leads you to believe it is usable as a one man kayak, the lack of footpegs with the front seat in the rearmost position, makes it not a good ride. Also, at 66, I'm not up to carrying or loading the boat alone.

I would urge anyone considering the twin, of any make, to first consider a small single such as the Otter or the Perception Swifty. My wife, after paddling a Loon 100 and a Loon 110 in Florida, decided she wanted to be "Mistress of her own fate", so we sold the twin and bought another Otter. Once you get over 40 lbs, "stuff" gets cumbersome.