Submitted: 05-22-2001 by Matt

I have an evergreen Perception America Expedition, and it is my first kayak. After the first time out on the lake, I know that I'm going to be quite happy with this boat for a long, long time. I plan on using the boat for paddling around the lake and occasionally going down class I-I.5 rivers. It was a tough choice between this boat and Daggerís Blackwater Expedition. The Dagger accelerates a bit quicker and is more maneuverable, but this boat won out because it was better suited to my plans for (almost daily) lake workouts and the comfort factor. Even though I don't consider myself a large paddler, at 6'1" and 175 lbs., I really appreciate the large cockpit and the fact that I can move my legs through a few positions in the boat. I can even kick my feet up on the sides and relax for a few moments. These features really help when out on the water for at least a couple of hours at a time. It's a convenient boat to own and operate.

This boat has very good initial stability, great tracking, and plenty of space. At first, I had trouble turning the boat as quickly as I wanted to, but found after a little over an hour that I could move the boat 90-plus degrees to either side with just one stroke of the 230 cm. paddle. I think that as I get more used to the boat I will be able to perform almost any maneuver I want (within reason!). I agree with what Bob had to say about the tracking, stability, speed/acceleration, etc. One clarification about what another reviewer wrote: The (2001 model) America is 13'4", not 12'4". I would advise you to get the Expedition model, but donít bother with the skeg. I rate it a "9." There is no "perfect boat," but this one is a great compromise between what is wanted and what is possible in a recreational kayak. Happy paddling!