Submitted: 05-22-2001 by Burr

I have been looking for a kayak for this entire spring. I have attended 6 diferent demo days on 6 consecutive week ends. I took classes at the local outfitter (an excelent idea for all!!) I am 6'1'' and 250 lbs. I am an areospace engineer hence my tendasie to over analize buying a kayak. Last Saturday I tryed a Zoar sport. These are the results:

Primary stability, good. Secondary stability, good. Tracking, addiquate (bearly). Edging performance, bad (when I leaned right I went left when I leaned left I went left). Fit, sloppy. Workmanship, OK. Rudder linkage Good. In gereral except for the edging problem an OK boat. Will I buy it? NO!

Two reasons. 1) The dealer was trying to "slam dunk" me into it. With no reguards to my wants and desires. To quote, " we sell these to all the really big guys." Since I am a big guy this is obviosly what I should buy. 2) The poor edging performance indicates something not right with the mold. Never get a plastic boat that does not track pretty straight in still water. One that edges badly can never be fixed.