Submitted: 05-22-2001 by WaveWolf
I traded in my Merlin LT, which I loved, for the longer Night Hawk since I prefer open water paddling. I found the Night Hawk to have less initial stability than the wider Merlin LT, but both have outstanding secondary stability. Very predictable in all circumstances, with wind at right angles to waves being the greatest challenge to me. I benefitted from adding weight in the bow to reduce windage. The Night Hawk tracks well with or without skeg, and edges easily with skeg up to manuever in any water, including big surf. Lightweight and easy to cartop. Large rear hatch cover makes loading long gear easy, but the narrow profile means planning like a backpacker to fit everything inside! Hatch covers are secure and watertight, even in rough conditions. Ride is fairly dry. The Night Hawk is a delight to paddle for the experienced paddler, and shouldn't be avoided by the less experienced--get the boat you'll grow into and love. At 5'7" and 170lbs, I wear my kayak like a mermaid's fins. Like all Eddyline kayaks, the finishing is superb.