Submitted: 05-22-2001 by SJE

I recently purchased a plastic Eclipse, my first kayak. I have paddled a little bit in the past two years but consider myself still a novice. The Eclipse absolutely feels a bit tippy at first, however, this seems to be more attributable to my relative inexperience rather than the boat itself. I've noticed the more I take it out the initial stability becomes less of an issue. I say this for you first time buyers and novice kayakers. Don't be scared off by the initial stability as I feel most of it is attributed to lack of experience. Tracking appears to be relatively good without the rudder. I feel the same as the other gentleman that I would prefer to not use the rudder for it does seem noticeably faster when it is not deployed. However, it moves quite gracefully with the rudder down. All in all a wonderful boat. Can't wait for the first tour. I would definately recomend this boat. A tip to prospective Eclipse owners. Always keep some extra weight in the boat (water jugs?) for it tracks better weighted down a bit.