Submitted: 05-22-2001 by waterdog

I bought the Royalex version, in a solo seat set up. Unfortunately I bought this factory direct, without paddling it first (SHAME ON ME!) and ignored a recommendation from another paddler. I wanted a solo to futz around in, go fishing, bird watching and take my dog along (dog + I = 300#). I contacted Mohawk for "expert" advice regarding whether the Solo 13 or 14 would be most appropriate for me. They directed me into the Odyssey 15 Solo because of weight (also most expensive of those considered). Unfortunately, I took thier advice, because of knowing people that are quite pleased with the Mohawk brand. This is more canoe than I wanted, the initial stability is shaky, especially with a dog, although the secondary stability seems to be fine. Lightly loaded, as it usually is, it is too squirrelly to be fully fun and controllable/comfortable. The control I desire is not there. To put this in perspective, I have owned and used canoes since the '70s, currently have 3 cano! es and a kayak that all get used for different purposes. Needless to say I am quite disappointed in my failing to heed that most important adage of equipment buying - "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!". I should not have heeded the advice of a company which is in business to make money, which I know they must do in order to stay in business. Oh, btw, the "Odyssey 15 Solo" that I ordered came from the factory with the decals attached for "Odyssey 15 Twin" on it. When I emailed them regarding whether I had a Twin or Solo, the response was "You have the right boat, we will send you the correct decals if you want." But they didn't answer me back when I asked for instructions for how to best remove the decal I did not want. At this time I am trying to figure how to dispose of this canoe without losing too much money. It is a well made canoe, just not right for my purposes.