Submitted: 05-10-2001 by tp

I purchased my Carolina used as an entry level boat. For the price I paid, compared to my friends $2500 Necky, I got a good deal. The Carolina is stable and handles easily. With the knee braces, the cockpit was confining for me at 6'0 and 220. However, the knee brace was easily removed and I find the cockpit roomy. My lower back gets tired after a few hours due to the seat back. I think the seat back has been improved on newer models. It is somewhat slower than the Necky Looksha IV, but what boat isn't. However, when paddling alone I find my self moving at a good speed without much effort. I don't have too much difficulty keeping up on most occasions. I've found that the Carolina tracks very well, and I've been out for hours without using the rudder (depending on wind and wave conditions). I've crossed somoe sizable wakes from boats and like the way the kayak rides over the waves instead of wanting to go through them. There are typically issues with a used boat, and this one is no exception. There is on place where the plastic hull is deformed a bit from sitting in some strain for a period of time. However, that doesn't seem to hurt the performance. All in all, well worth the money and a great entry level kayak.

Watercraft Technologies, Inc.: