Submitted: 05-10-2001 by DLH

I have had Yakima racks on vans and cars and have used them with both lengths of bars. They are durable, don't seem to rust readily, and can carry a lot of load. Right now I have a 2000 Honda Civic and used the wide bars to load a 15' canoe and a solo kayak for a trip. Yes the bars were wider than the car and I had to use the extender system because I have a two door car. It worked wonderfully and that says a lot about the rack system and the little car. Two people, a dog, gear and two boats and a nine hour trip all went smoothly. I could load and unload the boats by my self and nothing shifted even at 85-90miles per hour (they drive fast in Canada). The only bad thing is that I have lost the pads somewhere over the winter for the bottom of the rack where it meets the car roof and have had a hell of a time getting new ones. Just for your information I am using strips of towels and that works also.