Submitted: 05-02-2001 by hr1832

Rolls very easily. Good hatches. Very nice profile-looks great in the water. Skeg is trouble-free, although I don't put the stern of the boat down on sand. I throw my paddle underneat it. Roomy (6'1", 185 lbs, moderate build). Peddles instead of footpegs-very nice. Seat is fine, if traditional. Excellent coaming design. Makes a very tight fit with your skirt, and is great using the paddle to brace on getting out/in. Unique bungy system for paddle float rescues.

Complaints: a boat this expensive should have a keel strip BEFORE you buy it. By using bungee cord, I very neatly carry a Betsie Bay Storm spare paddle. I can access it from the seat, or from under the water. BUT, I had to figure out how to do this. A spare paddle is just about a must. The manufacturer should put on the bungee cords, or give you a picture(s) of how it might be done. Oh, nice fat deck lines. The last complaint has nothing to do with this particular boat: high end boats (well, maybe all boats) should come with a 1/4" thick bow and stern protector rubber cover which is permanently heat sealed on. End on, the boat would look a bit like a bottle-nosed porpoise. The bow and stern are the weakest places, AND the places likely to get dinged. Simple stuff, which is very annoying, like being pushed up under a fixed dock at a marina, or swinging around carrying it on your shoulder before you are clear, or getting rotated from a high wind when carrying it. Bill at Country Canoeist very nicely mounted a big Nexis compass on the front hatch cover. If they build one in, I sure hope they put it on MY side of the hatch, not out there where I can't see it.