Submitted: 04-30-2001 by JMT

I have owned a number of kayaks and have finally settled (with a smile) on the Tesla. This boat has excellent secondary stability and fairly good initial stability (a beginner may feel like it's a bit "tippy"). The large cockpit and raised deck make for easy in and out and high comfort while paddling. The tracking in this boat is good, and very responsive to correction with a "tip of the hip" while paddling. Turning is execellent on edge, and good flat with the rudder down. For a fairly wide beam, the boat cuts through the water well, doesn't drag and is fast. I had this boat on Lake Superior in 4 ft. waves, where they were sometimes washing over me. A quick brace kept this boat upright. Out of the six boats I've owned, this is the best yet. The only downside is the crowned top has made mounting a compass difficult. I have mounted it on the front cockpit, but it's a little far for old eyes in rought seas! Overall an excellent well designed boat. Others try to copy the Necky, but none compare!