Submitted: 04-30-2001 by GJD

I too have a Dumoine and love it. I have just had some dealings with the Canadian company to get some parts to repair mine after an exciting day on the Arkansas River near Salida. They were very helpful and courteous. I have nothing but good things to say about Swift.

I think your complaints about your spacers reflect the attitude of a very litigious American society. It is too easy to blame the company if you kill yourself canoeing (or doing anything else). The Dumoine is paddled by thousands who like the spacers the way they are. If you are doing something extreme and need to alter things then just do it. Don't threaten companies with lawsuits if they don't make it your way. When you buy the gear you pick it the way it is. Any alterations you make become your problem. Let me pose a question. What if your spacer alteration affects the lateral integrity of the canoe and it collapses from side to side now that you have raised one of the stiffening elements by 2 1/4". In your ensueing lawsuit is it your fault or theirs? What if some kid paddling on a lake in your altered canoe upsets as a result of the higher C of G and drowns? Whose fault is that? Yours for lending him the canoe? The company for the untested modification that they tacitly approved by providing you the parts? I suggest that you forget the lawsuit stuff and take responsibility for your own actions. We must adopt a more responsible approach to these kind of activities as individuals or companies like Swift, Chouinard, Perception and Wild Country will stop making the tools we need to enjoy the sport. Already the threat of lawsuits has raised the prices of much of this equipment to unreasonable levels.