Submitted: 04-23-2001 by CB

Note: Royalex version is 16' 6". I think I am one of the first around to own a Bell Northwind in Royalex. The royalex version is a foot shorter than its counter parts at 16' 6". It only weights 63 LBS and is a dam good looking canoe. I have only paddled it on moving water thus far and I have been very happy with its performance. Both days of paddleing have been very windy(25-30 MPH with gusts around 35 MPH). The canoe handled as well as I would expect in those heavy winds. The canoe was surpringly fast and very manuverable. Tracking was good, even with the high winds, but not great. Stability, primary and secondary, was great with just two paddlers and very little gear. I would assume that stability would only get better as weight is added. I am 6' 1" 210 lbs and I fit in the bow and stearn with ample room to spare. I am looking forward to really loading the canoe up with gear and my wife and son for an extended trip. From what I have seen it only seems that every thing will get better as it is loaded. Two brief notes in finishing. First, I rated this canoe an 8 not for any specific deficiency but because I can only say for certain that this canoe is better than 80% of the canoes ever made. I really like this canoe and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great general purpose tripping/family/fishing/moving water canoe. And lastly, if anyone out there is thinking of buying a Royalex canoe make sure you get vinly trim so you don't have to worry about cold cracking.