Submitted: 04-12-2001 by Scott

New for 2001 Wave Sport has introduced the Big EZ. The larger version of the also new EZ. I have been paddling the Big EZ in a pool for about a month just working on strokes and rolling in preparation for the new season. Last week was my first chance to get the boat out on some moving water.

A note for Beginners. DON'T BUY THIS BOAT. As with most new designs coming out of the whitewater market, the new designs cater mostly to the advanced boaters and those with great control in the hole. If you are an intermediate or expert whitewater boater you will love the boat for it's namesake. It makes those advanced moves very easy.

The draw back is that with a beginner it will toss them around too much. Wave Sport gives this boat a 4 out of 5 star rating for my weight class in river running ability and I believe that's a bit too high. In the rapids this boat is great, but if there is any amount of flatwater at all between your playspots, this boat is a chore to paddle.

It's also very small. They advertize it as being for bigger boaters but I'm only 5'6" and I have a hard time fitting my feet into the end of this boat. Don't even think about wearing paddling shoes. A rodeo sock will have to do.

The one great new feature in all of Wave Sports new 2001 boats is the F.A.T. system. This custom fit system allows you to leave the shop with a custom fit boat without having to clue pads in all over the place. Being what I consider to be a shorter boater myself, I always run into problems with the "Thigh" pads. For me they end up being "Knee" pads because my legs are too short. With the adjustability on the new boats with the F.A.T. system I actually have greater control because the pads actually can be adjusted back to fit on my thighs. THANK YOU WAVE SPORT.

By the way, it looks like this feature will be showing up on some other manufacterers boats for next season. I believe I saw a Perception Prototype with it.

Ride the Tide!