Submitted: 04-11-2001 by Alan Silverstein

Thanks to the other reviews here, I was informed and reassured when I bought a Swifty on sale at REI last weekend (normally $380, on sale for $320). It is as expected, primarily a flatwater boat, kind of a cross between a decked touring canoe and a whitewater kayak. But no regrets! Some remarked it is slow. Some data from GPS:

comfortable speed 3.0-3.1 MPH
fast pace 3.7 MPH
peak attainable briefly 4.0 MPH

This on flat water with negligible wind, 230 cm flat-blade paddle set feathered, my weight 200 pounds. Measured flow of South Platte River north of Denver varied from 1.2 to 3.5 MPH at < 1000 CFS (low flow, braided channels). So getting upstream varied depending on where, and the depth, many places too shallow to even paddle.

Also: I'm pleased that the Swifty is very easy to drive in a long straight line, although necessarily at some cost in maneuverability.