Submitted: 04-11-2001 by Jack OBrien

Well, I did it. After a year of reading, riding and arithmetic, I took the plunge and bought my fiberglass QCC 500X. Know that I am a newbie and will need time to learn the handling aspects of the kayak, but I can report on my experience to date. I have taken several classes and short trips in calm water but wanted my first kayak to be one that would serve me well over time. Issues involved quality construction and design, capable advice from the manufacturer/dealer and accessories that would enhance the performance and quality of my paddling experience. I asked questions and traded emails with other QCC customers including John Winters. Steve and Phil at QCC patiently answered my (endless) questions, walked me through their design and manufacturing methods and philosophy, even allowed me the opportunity to test paddle a demo boat to assure me that I was making a good comparative choice. It DOES require a leap of faith to buy a kayak over the internet without a test paddle (so, I admire those who can). Being able to try the kayak out allowed me the confidence to make the investment. I bought the 500X (w/rudder) and the accessories package which is indeed first class (Lightning paddle, Lotus PFD and nylon skirt) The boat is flawlessly built and handles beautifully. Because I live in Northern Illinois, I picked the kayak up at the plant and saw the care and detail that QCC builds into their kayaks. These guys are committed to their John Winter's design, quality mfg. processes, customer service and Internet commerce as a means of providing a truly first class product at an excellent price. After I have more experience mastering the handling characteristics of my 500, I'll update the review. But as an obsessive/compulsive shopper when it comes to buying major products, I will wholeheartedly recommend QCC for its dedication to a quality product and service. Keep up the good work, guys!

Botetourt County Tourism: