Submitted: 04-09-2001 by Fred Cerutti

I have had my Yukon Exp. for 7 years. It was my first kayak and an addition to a fleet that already included 1 canoe and 1 WW playboat. On my first outing, I thought that I might have gotten a boat with a bend in it - it would not go straight like my canoe! It would not turn as easily as my WW boat! Was it the boat? Nope.

I hadn't taken the research I had done seriously, I thought I could make a short, fat boat cook along like an arrow by dint of my amazing strength and skill. I was a paddler, right? Well, partly, I was a WW paddler. I was a canoeist. I was NOT a seayaker. Yet.

Don't buy the Yukon as a primary flatwater boat. If you need 1 boat to do everything doable in a kayak, don't even consider any other boat. From class IV with a weekends worth of gear to a 30 mile overnighter on a lake to a 100 mile, 5 day deep river trip - the Yukon will handle it well. You do need to learn the boat. No rudder is necessary if you are a good paddler and spend some time in the boat. Leans are your friend. Get subtle with your technique.

This bad boy will hold LOTS of gear and keep it bone dry. The seat is the most comfortable I have ever used by far. I am considering the purchase of a true-blue, 17' sea kayak, but I will keep my Yukon for the many, many times that it will be the best boat for the job - if I do my part.