Submitted: 04-14-1999 by Dave Martin

I have used my old Scupper on well over 100 trips in the past five years (and it was used when I bought it.) Primary use has been day trips of 10 miles or less along the exposed coast of Mendocino County in Northern CA. I enjoy paddling in ocean rock gardens, sea caves and usually launch and land through the surf. I have found the boat to be maneuverable, stable, comfortable (I'm 6' & 230 lbs.) and almost indestructable. I've borrowed a Scupper Pro a few times and thought it had some nice refinements but was slightly less comfortable for me. This may have been due to a maladjusted backrest and knee straps. All boats are a compromise, I wish the boat was faster but not at the expense of maneuverability or stability. I wish the boat was lighter but prefer the heavy weight durability. I wish the hatches didn't leak so I deducted a point. I wished that attachments had been made with stainless screws and nuts rather than pop rivets so I replaced them myself. Value rating: 10+

New York Kayak Co.: