Submitted: 03-30-2001 by danzinn
A few friends thought I was foolish to purchase a kayak sight unseen over the Internet, but with the guarantee that QCC offers and the level of comport and expert advise that I received on the phone, it was an easy decision. Based on their advise I purchased the Kevlar model, yellow deck and white hull with skeg and the flag/light option. I recommend that you follow their expert advice. The kayak arrived in a "big-long" brown box, when I slid it out I was immediately impressed with the quality of workmanship and the components they used. The boat was flawless and it smelled good too.

This review is based on padding most weekends and several multi-day excursions. I also did a few open water crossings of over 7 miles in smooth and choppy sea conditions. All of this over the past six months. I used it for BCU 4-Star training and surfed inlets loaded with gear and water (250 lbs). The boat is dry, stable and seaworthy. What can I say except that I love the boat. I wanted a boat that I could solo paddle, that was easy to load on a car by my self, easy to pack for 3 day trips, and be able to portage. I paddled my 600 in winds up to 20 knots and tested the boat at all angles to the wind, the boats tracks straight and reacts to edging very well. The 21" beam initially feels tippy but quickly becomes unnoticeable. The great thing is the efficiency you gain from the overall design. The hull is fast and efficient. What I noticed immediately was that I heard now sound as I moved through the water at 4-5 Knots proving the great laminar flow of the hull design. The hatch design is flawless and the best that I have seen.

One other important item is the seat is comfortable. I have paddled without getting out of the boat for 6 hours and many 12 mile non stop paddles all with no discomfort, which is not true of the other boats I have owned. The QCC kayak is a great value and a great boat to own!!