Submitted: 03-27-2001 by nashota

I bought my Solo 13 about 8 years ago and was pleased with the way it paddled. It was actually a dream to paddle. However, I am not so sure about the strengh of the construction. A couple of years ago I left it out on a rack for the winter at my cabin in upper Michigan. Also on the rack was an Old Town Discovery, an older Thompson wood an canvas canoe and a stripper I built. They were sitting side by side and covered with a tarp. They had a lot of snow that year. When I came back in the spring all the canoes were just fine except for the Sawyer Solo 13. The hull had been crushed, presumably from the weight of the snow. Sawyer told me too bad, it was my problem and I should have kept it inside. That maybe true, but I can't help but feel that the hull is weak. I fixed it and it does not look as nice but paddles ok. While I was sanding out the hull to add patches of fiberglas I notices numerous tiny air pockets beneath the gel coat. Maybe that is normal, but I am not sure. Maybe I just got a weak boat.