Submitted: 03-20-2001 by Martin Pecarina

This is the first Royalex canoe that I have ever owned. I am used to aluminum Grumman canoes which always seemed fine to me. But the first time I took this canoe out on the lake, I was amazed at its fire blazing speed! The Penobscot 17 rides the top of the water gracefully. Even with my 50 pound 5 year old boy in the front, I could paddle the canoe from the rear seat with ease. Paddling in the wind is a snap. I am not just saying this. It is true. This canoe requires little effort to make it fly.

Turning the canoe is not all that difficult, except fast down river travel in tight situations. But I didn't buy the canoe to do a lot of turning. I bought this canoe for lake touring and BWCA camping and fishing. This canoe requires good balance, for it likes to lean at the slightest movement. Of course, that could be my 250 pounds of fat. You can tell I bought the canoe for exercise, too. For piece of mind, I bought stabilizer floats on the Internet from Spring Creek Outfitters (www.canoegear.com) in Mt. Iron, Minnesota. They turned this canoe into a stable boat and were well worth the money.

The only negative with the Penobscot 17 is that it scratches too easily. But the scratches are merely cosmetic, only roughing up the vinyl skin.