Submitted: 03-20-2001 by Jed Watters

I bought a Spectrum from EMS about four years ago and we have travel more the 500 miles together, including thorough explorations of Penobscot Bay, and the Everglades. It is a fine beginner's boat, stable, and surprisingly fast considering its beam and length. It is very comfortable for me, but my wife has to use a cushion with it. I circumnavigated the Isle Au Haut in about six hours without any heavy breathing, or an emergency evacuation to a chiropractor. The boat is quite maneuverable. I have rudder and no purist qualms about deploying when the wind sends us into navigational ambiguity. It does weathercock badly at times, but the rudder cures this. My chief complaints are its loading weight, getting tougher to load on top of the car as I push 60, and its lack of bow storage. While the stern hatch is large and well engineered, any extended expedition makes me look like a seagoing version of TOBACCO ROAD. After fives years (counting this coming season) I am eyeing a Kevlar CD Solstice GT. However, I am fleeting up to a bigger boat only because the Spectrum has been such a good teacher of the joys of sea kayaking. Two daughters are already fighting over who inherits her.