Submitted: 03-13-2001 by Brad Mayes

We rented numerous boats before making our decisions - My girl friend chose the Perception Catalina. It is smaller, lighter, more maneuverable, and less expensive. The Savannah was more comfortable for me. I am 5'10" and 180 pounds. She is 5'2" 135. The Savannah tracks better, handles wind chop easier, and is an over all drier/roomier ride. The Perception comes better equipped.

We spend an equal amount of time on small inland lakes/swamps and flowing rivers. This past weekend we took a trip on the Frio river. This is a spring fed river in central Texas with lots of ones, a couple of two's (depending upon the flow), with nice breaks of smooth clear water.

The Perception was the clear winner any time a quick cut was necessary. In the open water and against the wind the Dagger pulls away with ease. I am considering buying a Dagger Crossover as a second boat - only because the Perception Catalina is such a tight fit.

The Savannah is a nice boat. The best all around boat I have been around for my size. It just seems the majority of the time my paddling favors more maneuverable craft. The Catalina seems to be a better "all around" boat for smaller paddlers. I just didn't fit well. The Crossover was dropped from consideration because of how poorly it performed in wind chop.

It seems that us average paddlers need two boats, while the smaller folk can buy just one…. I know they are owned by the same company. But the Perception seems to be MUCH better outfitted for the price.