Submitted: 03-12-2001 by SJLG

I am 6' and 220lbs.--After trying many different boats at a local shop, I went with the Savannah Expedition with the rudder. This is one awesome boat! It actually tracks better than some of the 16' boats that I paddled. It did not seem to windcock at all in a breeze and offered a very dry ride. Hull & fitting quality was second to none. Yesterday on a winding river it turned effortlessly, with one good sweep stroke you can turn the bow probably a foot or more without slowing down(unless you have the rudder down, then it does not want to turn at all...a good thing). Stability is rock solid, secondary is moderate to high. On a large local lake, I had a very large boat pass and wanted to check how it could handle rough water & wake, so I paddled right across the wake, 10 feet behind the boat. The bow rode over the first wave then plunged into the second one, putting the deck awash, but no water entered the cockpit, and the boat popped up like a cork. Even going over wakes sideways inspired confidence in this boat. The boat handled rough water very steadily and predictably. I would recommend this boat to anyone looking for a boat that truly does everything well, with the speed and tracking of a longer craft, with the agility of a 10 footer! --Paddle On--

Portage Pal: