Submitted: 03-05-2001 by Dirk Jan

After paddling for 4 years in a Baidarka Explorer (21 beam) i decided to take up kayaking again after 6 years. Tried several kayaks (britains) and came to the anoying conclusion that I needed STABILITY! Then came the opportunity from a friend to paddle his new P&H Orion, beam 23 and a half inch. Feeling a bit strange (old) I entered the high chambered cockpit, and pushed off in a choppy Dutch Ijsselmeer. After getting used to the room inside first thing that struck me was its speed despite his generous beam, it proved easy to maintain the same speed as my narrow beamed collegues. To cut a long story short - by now I paddle my own Orion, complete with homemade (Greenlandic) decklayout ie. toggles and slides to fasten ideally a greenlandic paddle as an outrigger. I can now eat- drink - do some birdwatching (binoculars and all!)- fish with a short rod and feel relaxed. Good kayak for someone who wants to do more than just paddling!