Submitted: 03-05-2001 by AEW

I have had my Magellan for just over three months and many paddling days within this time. I find the Magellan an excellent handling boat (although I have a rudder I only use it occasionally) yet it tracks well in most conditions and is very comfortable for flat river paddling to moderate surf conditions.

I find the seat position comfortable but the seat pad that comes with the Magellan moves around too much unless glued / strapped down. The cockpit is a good size, perhaps a little large for my 5 foot 9, 165Lb frame so I will add some additional thigh support. Dagger offers options in this regard but at a relatively high cost. But I am yet to feel uncomfortable on between 2 to 5 hour stints. In testing other Kayaks I experienced numb legs and feet with some boats. Never a numb foot or leg with the Magellan.

The rubber hatches are excellent and haven't leaked more than a few drops even while learning to roll for five hours on day. I updated the front deck lines and elastic cord more to my taste as the original ones were a little thin (although were functional). The deck lines work well for paddle float re-entry (compared to my Wife's Necky and Brothers Dagger Apostle that has a day hatch in the way!).

Before buying the Magellan I tried many other designs and makes but like the balance the Magellan provided.

Things I'm not enjoying include: The rudder rails / pedals need constant attention as they stick with only a little sand or dirt. The slippery seat pad as mentioned above. And, the scratches on the Plastic that accumulate over time. Of course I'd also like a lighter weight!

All in all I can say the Magellan is an excellent poly kayak and is equal or better than most others I tried in its price range and size (and I tried them all). I can see why Dagger kept the Magellan in its stable of Kayaks for so long its a good all around boat.