Submitted: 08-11-2014 by JEL

I have owned and enjoyed three 16-foot Tarpons, one being a pre-2008 hull. I bought two 14 footers expecting something akin to the drift and nose angle of the 16. In fact it seemed the center of gravity [seat where hip points hit the hull] was a tad too far forward. Water entered the foot scupper holes. Nose seemed to be angled downward more than should have been the case. Redesign to allow aft shift of CG would probably level out the boat.

Mine were bought 6 or so years ago. I don't know if they corrected the hull and seat location to provide better drift after paddle stroke. Seat was adequate, foot stops adequate, storage o.k. Cockpit did not fit anyone over 6'1" very well without noticeable nose dip. The boat was significantly slower than the 16.

Overall fit and finish were very good. I still have the three 16 footers for self and guests. To see a cockpit with proper balance today try out a Necky Vector 14. I found two for friends and tried them out. Great cockpit for tall people, excellent hull balance front to back. The old Heritage Sea Dart II also has excellent pitch control [fore/aft balance]. It can be done.
Cheers all. Happy paddles!