Submitted: 08-10-2014 by drushr

I bought my Tarpon kayak about 3 months ago and I love it. I have taken it out about 10 time in the last 3 months. I was looking for a sit-on-top. Something to do some light touring with. Something not to wide and not to heavy but would also support someone like myself who is 6ft.4 and around 205 lbs. My kids are around 70 lbs and sometimes I put them in the back section. We do get a little bit of water in the back but the kids donít care and it is fun anyway because they are just sitting there and I am doing all the work. Ok on to the things that I like.

The seat is very nice with all the different adjustments. Loading on top of my Explorer is not too bad. It tracks really well. I have only flipped once and that was when I was at Gulf Shores on a calm water day when I was not paying attention and I got sideways on a wave. Also that is the only time I have ever gotten water in my hatch. All my other trips the hatch stayed very dry.

There are only 2 things that I would recommend changing on the Tarpon 140 design. There are these little L shaped catches that hold the bungee cord for holding the paddle. For someone my size they dig into my leg. So what I did is loosen the screw and turned them sideways. This fixed the problem but now I cannot use the paddle holders. But no more pain from the L shaped catch.

The other thing that I think I have gotten adjusted to are the kayak handles on the left and right. At first my knuckles were hitting the plastic handles. Not sure what could be done about this but every now and then I bump the plastic handles.

Over all I love this kayak. It was the first time I ever purchased a kayak and I do not regret the big purchase. I plan to keep it a long time.