Submitted: 01-22-2001 by Dan Thomsen

As my first canoe I'll say that short of being virtually indestructable and cheap this canoe is a BATH TUB. It's not fun to paddle and it's definately the heaviest in it's class. The initial stability is awesome and very reassuring to the novice or family. I had the misfortune of holing mine on a railroad tie that was mid river. Let me tell you that this canoe is virtually impossible to repair. A speciality plastic shop may be able to half ass plastic weld a puncture but the canoe will never be the same. To be fair I have logged many miles on the 17 ft. coleman and have some great memories. It's a dry canoe that carries a big load and it's about the cheapest decent canoe out there. I have to complain though,in the newer colman design the seats are moulded to the hull making it impossible for one to kneel while paddling. The new seat design is a BIG step backwards. Sure you can now store stuff in the seat but who cares! Coleman has taken this canoe from a cheap HEAVY tripping canoe and turned it into a cheap HEAVY cottage canoe. PROGRESS! If you canoe for more than a day or two at a time AVOID this canoe. It' WILL hurt you with it's weight and with the new seat design it's real stabilty is gone. Only colman could make a barely acceptable design worse.