Submitted: 01-22-2001 by Dan Thomsen

This canoe is a real winner! For the price you can't go wrong. It's an extremely capable fun to paddle canoe if you keep it out of whitewater it wasn't intended for. At 58 lbs. it's about the lightest bang-up boat I've come across. It's always a dry warm boat. At 16 ft. I wouldn't recomend any trips longer than 2 weeks unless you are adept at light travel. I'm a avid canoeist who also enjoys a sawyer summersong. I've yet to paddle the penobscot 16 solo, but I've heard it's exceptional also as a large capacity solo tourer with center seat added.

At one time I sailed chestnut prospector type canoes. One of my future projects is to rig the penobscot for sailing. I have the feeling because of it's dryness that it will make an excellent sailing canoe as well. Value wise this is the ultimate all around family, cottage, or short wilderness tripping canoe! If you have special usage such as whitewater or high volume you should look at a different design. Anything else and the penobscot is THE canoe (unless you are rich). This canoe has a good design and is the most resilient and lightest weight canoe in it's price rage.