Submitted: 01-16-2001 by Bernard

After evaluating numerous kayaks, I chose the Necky Narpa (plastic). I paddle in Cape Town, South Africa, where the seas are often rough and gale force winds are frequent. I wanted a boat with a good carrying capacity and good stability. Good tracking was also a major criteria. The Narpa is all that and more. The sheer simplicity of the layout, and the rugged design approach taken by Necky makes this kayak superb. Stability is excellent, and the boat handles rough water beautifully. The hatches seal extremely well too. Even though I like the Perception boats, my Necky is built like a Hummer - it is almost indestructible. The only improvement I'd like to see would be slightly more rugged, and larger rudder pedals (currently plastic), and perhaps less plastic and more alloy used for the rudder mechanism.