Submitted: 01-10-2001 by Ferd

Lightweight kevlar layup, no gelcoat, no rudder. Weight around 38 pounds. Used mostly for day paddles up to and including open ocean conditions. I have owned a Swift since 1997 and use it almost exclusively even though I also own a Gypsy and an Impulse. My personal opinion is that the Swift is the best boat in the Seda lineup, all things considered. Its stability is similar to the Gypsy's (read: very good) but it is much faster than the Gypsy - much closer in speed to the 18' Seda Impulse. I think the Swift's speed is partly due to its full bow and stern (high prismatic coefficient); the high-volume stern reduces the boat's tendency to squat under power compared to the Impulse (which has a finer stern) and allows the Swift to maintain a longer waterline at speed. In addition to being fast, the Swift is comfortable and much more turnable than the Impulse - particularly in windy conditions. At the same time it tracks well. Build quality is very good. (Seda recently adopted a new seam which is esthetically nicer than his old seam although I don't know if it's any stronger). All in all the Swift is a fine design and IMO one of the better singles on the market. Personally, there is very little I don't like about this boat.