Submitted: 07-05-2014 by gnatcatcher
It was with a leap of faith that I ordered my SpitFire this past December, never having demoed one as well as being in the process of recovering from a stroke. But...having owned and/or paddled a Hemlock Nessmuk, Vermont Tupper, and a Wenonah Wee Lassie, I knew what I DIDN'T want in a pack canoe.

At 21 pounds, the Spitfire is light enough for me to put on my car myself, just by grabbing the gunwales and lifting it over my head. Being a fairly short individual, I need a craft with adequate tumblehome to facilitate a more vertical paddle stroke. I also wanted a sturdy boat with a tough gel coat bottom, a nice thing to have here in Rocksylvania. Or is it Pennsrocks?

I was looking for a responsive canoe, one that is easily turned, yet also has decent tracking.
The Nessmuk was too small and I found it to be uncomfortable. While the Wee Lassie tracked well, it was too heavy at 29 pounds and awkward for me to handle off the water. The Tupper, too wide and heavy. So it came down to the Spitfire, and I have absolutely no regrets. It is comfortable, fast, responsive...an absolute joy to paddle. It is a beautiful boat, to boot.

We have several kayaks in our fleet, but if I had to choose just one boat, it would be the Spitfire, hands down. It is my freedom. I am ecstatic.