Submitted: 01-05-2001 by Jim

My wife and I rented a Keowee II in the keys last year. We took a three hour group tour through and around the mangrove trees and flats. After the guide gave us a quick bit of instruction on how to paddle we all took off. He suddenly stood up in his own keoweeII and started to tell everyone in the group that our view might be improved from a standing position. I found his actions amazing because he was a beefy man about 6'4" and weighed about 275 lbs! I stood up and found the bought more stable than the floating dock we had just left behind. After that experience I went back to GA and sold all of my guns to raise the money for two boats with rudders. I strongly recommend that you get the rudder with the kayak. My 8 yr old, 5 yr old, wife, and large dog all love the fun we have using these kayaks to fish, paddle out to an island on a reservoir to picnic, watch the wild life or dump over in shallow water and just get silly. This boat is incredibly stable. I often fly fish out of mine from a standing position. My kids run back and forth in the cock pit with ease. I bet you could easily duck hunt out of it. But then again I sold the guns, remember? This is a fun boat. Not terribly fast or sexy. But for exploring and sneaking up on things this is the family/fishing boat to get. The thought of taking it out into the ocean makes me need a little tequila, though. Not my idea of a very safe thing to do. Although anything is possible. The factory rep told me that this boat is designed so that if you tip it over you better be able to either wade or swim to shore. We spent several sunny weekends intentionally dumping it over (hard to do) and trying a variety of ways to get back in the boat and make it function again. We really couldn't get it to function again. And this was under warm water conditions with no current. About all we ever could do was put the kids back into the boat and push it toward shore. Would I buy the same boat again!? Yes! Its a great family boat/fishing boat for your average thirty-something weekend warrior who wants a bit of an easy get away.