Submitted: 07-02-2014 by floodwaker
These are the way to go, if you have the ceiling space. I have three Harken Hoisters in my garage. One holds a 16' canoe, another holds a 14' sit on top kayak, and the third holds my Jeep's hardtop during Spring through Fall.

The hoister is great in that it gives you a mechanical advantage when lifting these items overhead. The install can feel a bit daunting at first, but once you read and understand the instructions it should come easy to anyone who is more than moderately mechanically inclined.

The only way these hoists could be any easier is if they were motor driven, and that would obviously come at a higher price. For the cost of what you get, you could probably design a very similarly performing system with parts found at the hardware store and online, but what I paid for was an all-in-one kit, and (for me) the convenience was worth the extra cost.