Submitted: 07-02-2014 by se

After reading other good reviews of the Perception Pescador (match mold of the prior Tarpon) and finding it at Academy for $499-529 depending on the model, I had to give it a try. Very pleased with the boat. I also have a Perception Kingfish which is a flatter bottomed boat and thus more stable, however the Pescador is faster and coasts better.

Initial stability is less, but secondary stability as you get further over is fine. I weigh 240-250 depending on the day and without any extra gear, I have water gushing up thru the floor scupper holes rather than draining out. Scupper plugs with an easy pull handle or cord are required to have a dry foot well. Same goes for the storage area behind the seat. The position of the drain holes allows you to drain the boat well though before dragging it to shore and having water all over the seat in the process.

Hull thickness is very sturdy as compared to the Kingfish, though I have a sail rig for the Kingfish and its hull handles that easily, therefore so should the Pescador. Pescador tracks far better and thus is a bit harder to turn sharply. I was able to trim a foam stadium butt pad and permanently insert it under the seat for a bit more cushion. Good boat at a great price.