Submitted: 06-23-2014 by WeeHooker
Ok, so first the disclamer: I've owned well over 50 small padding craft of one type or another in the last 20+ years. I buy, try, keep if I love em, sell if I don't. Usually, it's sell. It's a hobby of mine. That out of the way, of the five kayaks currently in my "fleet", complete with the addition of another recent purchase, three are pre 2006 OT Loon 138's. This model is the old friend that I just keep going back too. IMHO, it's about the most user friendly, confidence inspiring, bullet proof, rec boat out there (even today). Stable as a rock, tracks well yet turns without sweat, takes on tough water with confidence, takes a BEATING, and seems equally at home in Class 1, farm pond or inshore ocean. As a bonus, it seems to perform just as well with a paddler that's 160 or 235 #. (Read: rare occurrence despite manufactures claims.) I can think of no other boat that I prefer to fish from or just take a novice friend out to give them the fever.

I'd give it a 11 but for two small issues. Old Town no longer stocks hatches and bulkheads for these older boats, and it would be nice if it were just a tad lighter.