Submitted: 06-18-2014 by foggnm
I'm not an experienced or skilled enough whitewater canoeist to rate this canoe in terms of handling. But I would like to submit a review about the excellent quality of this boat. I ordered this boat in lieu of getting a royalex or plastic boat which are really the same price. I thought, why do I want to schlep a 55 pound boat when I can schlep a 25 pound boat? Indeed this boat is light and there is a lot of attention to detail.

John Kaz at Millbrook was easy to work with and outfitted my boat with a standard foam pedestal and double thigh strap. He cross threaded the bow and stern for floatation. I opted not to do any footpegs and have been experimenting with ankle blocks for comfort. When I look at the Shacho, I see craftsmanship and an elegant handmade boat. There was great attention to detail to do everything to keep it light. All the glued-in strap loops are done with fabric. There is pretty much not a single piece of metal on this boat except for the screws on the gunwhales and thwarts.

As far as handling goes, this boat feels like it is meant to maneuver rather than go fast. Doesn't seem like a lot of primary stability. I was out on an easy river with two kayakers in play boats and a stand up paddle boarder and they seem to keep better speed than I was (a lot different from the 16 foot canoe I previously owned). This boat does get spinned around easy in wind because of its lightness and rocker. It is above my skill level at this point, but I'm hoping in the next couple of years I can do it justices and take it down some more aggressive water. It is really a piece of art at a great price!