Submitted: 12-28-2000 by W L Smith Jr

I have had my Scout for almost three years now and it has been a very good boat. I use it on rivers and lakes. I think it is one of the best all around canoes you can buy for the money. It is a bit tippy at first and takes some time to gain confidence in the secondary stability. Also once you master correction strokes to counter the lack of tracking, flat water canoeing is possible. Also with the right about of ballast it not a bad solo boat. The Discovery Scout does everything I need a canoe to do and the price was right. If you can only get one boat and you will spend more time on moving water than flat but would like to enjoy both this is an excellent canoe. However it is a bit heavy on long portages but that did not bother me enough to make me part with the extra money for the Appalachian. (about $10 per lb.)