Submitted: 12-28-2000 by mysticmd

The workmanship on my Max Velocity was atrocious. The skeg bracket was placed incorrectly on the boat so the cord hung up and the skeg would not function. Metal bracket was cut and filed down flush with boat to rectify. Then the cord broke in one trip; turns out the hole in the bracket was cut roughly; so that was filed smoothly and the cord replaced. The bracket that holds the cord in place on the boat for operating the skeg from the cockpit was of poor quality and nonfunctional. I replaced it with a $3.25 clam cleat that holds the cord on the boat deck instead of dropping it in the water, and it holds the cord in place rather than allowing the skeg to drop randomly. The seat was advertised as having extra padding. Well, they just jammed a lot of pieces of foam underneath, tilting the seat back and the edge of the seat was cutting off the circulation in my legs; So I removed all the foam, replaced the bolt with a shorter one and rectified that situation. The bungee cords were too flimsy on the deck rigging, so I replaced it with quality/heavier cord and added a few loops to extend the rigging for better utilization on both front and back decks.

The back hatch cover leaked. Had to cut the rubber seal and add silicone. Worst of all: Both bulkheads leak severely; this is a safety hazard. The Rep told me it was impossible (as both compartments filled up with water); they told me to seal it with Lexel. After four tubes of this, it still leaks, just not as badly. I had it pointed out to me by other paddlers that Sun used cheap foam instead of closed cell foam. So, for all the shoddy workmanship and problems I give the boat a 1.

For the diversity of the boat, I agree with the other reviews to date. It has enough room to camp from over night, it turns nicely, skeg keeps it tracking well, a good all around boat , but not a fast boat at 13'. The higher cockpit area can be a plus when the water is colder. An all-around boat that I would rate a 10. So I compromised and rated it a 5 for total score.

My biggest disappointment was no acknowledgement from the reps.. No call backs from my phone calls and no answer to my letters of complaint, and no response on my commentary regarding their warranty, which touted their product's double bulkheads as being waterproof. They're like guilty rodents with their heads stuck in the sand. Because they do not stand behind their products/warranty, I do not recommend anyone buy any of their products. I let my salesman know, and he said he would no longer be dealing with Sun (NY). When I called dealerships in NJ carrying Sun products, they said they would not carry the Max Velocity because of known bulkhead problems (Summer of 2000).