Submitted: 05-13-2014 by danyankee
Material: Royalex
I have a few tandem canoes, and when going out with the kids, the dogs, or for fishing, this is the one that I take. This is a supremely stable boat for basic recreational paddling on flat water. It will carry a ton of gear if you want to go take the Camper camping. That may be how it got it's name. This is not the fastest tandem, but it will move along with a little effort. It is fairly maneuverable however.

The royalex hull is incredibly durable. I don't have to baby it like I do my Kevlar boats, and it still looks good. The vinyl exterior picks up lots of dings and scrapes, but these cosmetic blemishes are all that've come from some pretty heavy use. Royalex is such a great balance between durability and weight. Old Town has kept the weight down on the Camper and it is light enough for a single person to car top without an extraordinary effort.

The Camper is a great canoe. It's our family boat that doesn't get near the use it used to when the kids were younger. It's also my fishing boat when I want a steady platform. And it's also the one I loan out to friends who havenít much paddling experience. It's near perfect for all of these situations, and probably a few others I've not considered.