Submitted: 05-11-2014 by danyankee
Material: Kevlar Ultra light

Reading these reviews, it's like people are reviewing two different animals. It sounds like the Royalex version handles much less well than the Kevlar/Tuf-weave version, as the bad reviews all seem to be about Royalex versions. Fortunately I have a Kevlar Ultra light version, and it's a wonderful boat. It's a little heavier than some of my other Wenonah Kev ultra lights, but I'm guessing it gets a little sturdier construction given it's possible use in whitewater. But it's still under 40 pounds I'd guess. It's very easy to lift from the ground to over head without any special technique.

This was one of my very first solo canoes and was a good boat to learn in. It's very forgiving with excellent final stability, and not too bad primary stability either. As a whitewater boat, it's fun and very dry. I've been pleasantly surprised at how durable its been for me over the years. Sometimes you just can't avoid the rock garden, but the hull doesn't show much wear. Without the experience, I wouldn't have believed it. I've used my tuf-weave Solitude in whitewater too, and while it does well too, it shows the impacts where the Kevlar hasn't.

As a lake and river boat, I wouldn't have expected this one to do as well as it does. It actually turns out to be a decent tracking boat considering the rocker it has. It doesn't have the glide that my Prism does, but does about as well as my Vagabond or Solitude. It will paddle a nice straight line with regular J-strokes from one side without having to switch sides if you don't want to.

It's big enough to carry a load, but handles well empty for simple day trips. I've taken it on week long camping trips over various water conditions. It's a great all around do it all canoe that can handle just about anything you throw at it. Even though it's one of my first solos and I've added to the fleet since, it's still one I go back to again and again.