Submitted: 05-11-2014 by Steve S

I've had my green 17' Ram-X canoe since 1978. It weighs 80lbs. It's been on countless rivers and camping trips. It's done lakes and small Class 3s. It did a class 4 once, but not successfully. I think we could have done it though with a little different technique. My wife and I took the 3 boys down several rivers when they were smaller. It's very stable.

The reason I bought it was based on price. It was what I could afford. But after using it for years and 'competing' with the aluminum canoes, I've learned that the only people that 'smack' the Coleman are those that don't own one. That's not to say it as fast and maneuverable as more expensive canoes, because it's not. But it is way quieter than the aluminum canoes and just as tough. It gleans over rocks quietly and will not bottom out on the rocks like the aluminum canoes will.

Whatever Ram-X is made of, it's durable. I store mine inside so it still is not faded. The keel is straight and the skin is still flat.

I'd rate this boat a 9 based on all we've put it through. It's heavy, but a great buy for anyone who can't pay the price of the lighter brands.