Submitted: 05-05-2014 by Rikjohnson
I recently purchased the Sawyer as I believe in redundancy and always carry two filters. I like the idea of a pump and gravity system so carry the Platypus gravity and the Katadyn Hiker, which meets all of my needs. I got the Sawyer because it was on sale and was smaller and looked more portable.

The common complaint with the Sawyer is that the 'dirty' bags rupture when you are squeezing them through the filter. I never tried that, choosing to use the Sawyer as a replacement for my Platypus gravity, which means I wanted to hook a large bag to the intake and let the water drip into my clean bags.
Unfortunately, this requires a series of adapters that you can purchase from various companies, including Sawyer. extra money.
Plus I needed to make a pre-filter for the thing. These ultra-small micron filters clog so easily you MUST be aggressive in your pre-filtering. Although my Katadyn Hiker pump filter is more forgiving, the Sawyer is not. Check the internet for ways people have modified the Sawyer. It can be done and once accomplished, you have a good lightweight gravity filter.

So, if you want the Sawyer as a drink-and-go system I cannot help you, though the reviews say this works well, so long as you dump the supplied bags and replace them with decent bags. As a gravity filter, IF pre-filtered, it works very well indeed.