Submitted: 05-05-2014 by SE Paddler

There are not many reviews available on this boat that are not boilerplate reviews from the two or three actual reviews from demos out there. Hopefully the next bit will be helpful.

I am 6'1" and 230 with large legs. I consider myself cockpit restricted when it comes to buying a kayak as I can only consider the few that i can comfortably get in outside of the recreational lines. I bought this boat without demoing it first and the demos out there are spot on in regards to the general build quality and performance. The hatches do leak some, the rudder is not the best on the market but it is nice to have in strong crosswinds.

I bought this boat for racing in rivers (limited rapids). I wanted something that i could easily handle, that was affordable, and that was reasonable fast.

On open water (large lake) i could comfortably hold a 5-6 mph speed without pushing hard to do so. In the wind, i was surprised to see that i was still chugging along at 4.5 mph in about a 15 mph headwind. I got in 1.5 to 2' waves and had them crashing over the boat. This is my first sit in and i never felt like i would flip whether i was crosswind, headwind, or paddling along the troughs.

My initial review is that this boat is fast with some minor shortcomings that are easily corrected. no boat is perfect, but once i seal the hatches and bulkheads, this boat will be close for me. I consider myself an intermediate paddler overall.