Submitted: 05-05-2014 by Rikjohnson
I wanted a 'let it be and do the work alone' type filter as standing in cold water while pumping water instead of sitting at camp cooking was not what I wanted. Being poor, I could not afford the entire Platypus system. Being an Air Force engineer, I am used to making-do. So I bought only the filter, made a foam carry-case and bought two used 'camelpak' bladders at a yard-sale for $1 each. I marked one DIRTY and the other CLEAN and used these as a cheaper option.

Ok, now that I have upset Platypus, here is what I found.
First, the thing works well! I filled the dirty bladder, hung it from a tree and within minutes, the clean bladder was full. refill the Dirty bladder and repeat! a GREAT DESIGN!!!
When I got home, I simply used distilled water and backflushed the filter in my shower to clean it out.

Two suggestions though.
The filter clogs easily so pre-filter this and any water-filter. I carry a cloth bag with a coffee filter or t-shirt as a pre-filter.
Second, air trapped in the Dirty hose can slow the process so purge the hose by letting some water flow from the hose before you attach it to the filter.
Aside from that, the system works and works well.

The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I bought a used Sawyer which is smaller, lighter and has a longer life. The Sawyer, however, can use some refinements and requires additional parts to work as a drip-system.