Submitted: 04-30-2014 by ddragonn

Great Kayak! I'm 35 and I've been paddling since I was young but never tried kayaks until 3 yrs ago. This is my second kayak purchase. With two kids (age 2 and 7), I wanted a way to get the whole family out on the water. I gave my first kayak to my wife & purchased the Prodigy 13.5 for myself & the kids.

There is plenty of room for myself & either one of the kids. I haven't taken both of the kids in the same boat yet because I think the kids would shove each other overboard. I have let my 7 yr old paddle with me & it is no problem as long as we match our stroke. I have taken the dog a couple times too but he won't paddle the boat. Paddling alone is great too. I can adjust the seat to the center to balance the boat or leave the seat back & store a large cooler in the front.

I have become the storage boat on all day trips because the boat has so much room, also I think my friends want to load me down so they can keep up. This boat is fast.

For a wide rec kayak it tracks very true, cuts thru waves & chop but is still very easy to turn. I'll keep this kayak in my fleet even after the kids are paddling their own kayaks.

The only reason this kayak gets a 9 instead of 10: When paddling with the 2 year old I have to put the seat about a third way from full back position to balance weight. In that position my feet rest right in between the 2 sets of foot pegs. That makes a 4 hr trip a bit uncomfortable but may also just be a matter of shifting weight around.