Submitted: 04-29-2014 by kj

We have had a Swifty 9.5 for about 9-10 years. I'm 6' and my wife is about 5'7". We have about 5 kayaks- mid range touring, Jackson Coosa fishing, whitewater and playboats - all of which I enjoy. However, the Swifty is, hands down, the best kayak I ever bought.. I say this taking into consideration what the kayak is designed for. It is a recreational runaround kayak capable of much more.

Excellent beginner kayak. It is durable, stable, roomy, tracks well and for its size is fairly fast. It is light enough for my wife to load no problem. We leave it chained up at a lake about 10 min. walk from our house in our city. My wife is able to paddle 3-4 times a week without the hassle of loading it up and we're not too concerned about someone stealing it. I offered to buy her a new one with better seat and storage and she said no, she'll wait until this one wears out - guess I won't we won't be shelling out any cash any time soon as this thing is so durable.

I have used the Swifty to fish and have been out a kilometer or more on Georgian Bay with 1-2 ft. waves steel lining for lake trout without a skirt and not worried too much as the kayak is that stable. Good enough storage behind the seat for a light day trip which my wife and I often do when camping.

The Swifty is not designed as a touring or fishing kayak although we have used it for both. But it is an excellent introductory kayak that will get people into kayaking at a reasonable price and head and shoulders better than other kayaks in that price range. And it will be a joy long after. The seat is serviceable but is probably the only thing that can be improved on. Still, it's a 10!