Submitted: 04-28-2014 by bill

the S1X Special is my third surf ski. I have owned and sold a Fenn millennium, still own a Fenn mako 6. I have been looking for a Huki for quite a while, since in Northern California everyone seems to have one. Huki's and Valhallas are made in the USA and I think are the only surf skis still made in the USA. I also own a cleaver x, a wave exceed, a marauder, a missle, and a Westside double.

Anyway - to get to what is important.
in order of how fast the boats are (in a 5 mile race on flat water with a 175 pound intermediate paddler )
1. Fenn Mellennnium 2. Fenn Mako 6 3. Huki S1-X tied with Westside Marauder 4. Wave Exceed 5. Missle

in a 5 mile race with chop
1. Wave Exceed 2. Marauder tied with Huki S1-X 3. Missle 3. Mako 6 4. Fenn Millenium
i did not include the cleaver because i still cannot paddle it without bracing every 4 strokes.

in terms of comfort, i like the seating position in the S1-X, about as much as the Fenn Mako 6. both of those skis seem to fit me. the Fenn Millennium was a disaster for me in that i would lose a lot of skin in a long race. The S1-X is good looking (mine is used and has very nice paint/graphics). the hardware is first rate and it is very very ez to change rudders.

I am pleased with this ski. hope to do some ocean racing with it some day.